Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Self portrait Tuesday: Be fruitful

When Life gives you lemons make lemonade. How many times have you heard this one? Today a little birdie made me think of LIFE LESSONS, so I got one for you, The land my parents house is on was given to them by my grandfather and on this land there was a Huge lemon tree that was grafted with orange, it made the best lemonade ever. The thing about this lemon tree is that it was always fruitful, the lemons were always huge and juicy. During the Coupe in 1990, when the government was overthrown for those couple of days by a terrorist attack, my grandmother gave everyone food from her garden so that they could eat, there was a nationwide curfew so we couldn't go anywhere for most of the day and all the markets and groceries where closed down. My grandmother also gave everyone lemons off the tree to make juice to drink. The lemon tree become a symbol for the community, a sign of God's promise that he will provide for his people and everyone in our village reaped from it. In a time of stress and uncertainty of the future, we all knew one thing was sure, we will always have food and family to depend on. After that year, we noticed that the tree started to die slowly and my father decided to cut it down, it had served it's purpose and it is on that very stump my parents built their house, which stands today. Therefore I say when life give your lemons, take those seeds and return it back to the earth so that generations after you can have something to sustain them, plant those seeds to give them certainty in this uncertain world, we live in. Being Fruitful is more than providing for yourself but for everyone that touch your life in one way or another.

12 Comments:

Blogger Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

I love this post Toya! That's a wonderful story! It symbolizes that when God blesses us, we should pass it on.

6:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wonderful entry Toya! Tell the "little birdie" thanks! LOL

Love your pic! I must try this....NEXT week! LOL

9:12 PM  
Blogger Lu said...

that portrait is off the hook. i love it.

10:21 PM  
Blogger ClassC Scrapper said...

Wow, Toya, what an amazing story and wonderful advice!!! Now, I just love this picture especially the profile of your face and the motion in the corner. I think that I may have to try this also. :-)

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

toya....again I am speechless,,,what a wonderful story. The picture is awesome!

11:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, such a powerful message and that pic is beautiful!

2:20 AM  
Blogger Tamika said...

Your picture is so pretty and you took it yourself, wow! The ties that bind us are amazing. My grandmother used to have a peach tree in NJ and we would visit her and help pick them and "can" them for the winter season. I forgot how special that was until I read your post, Thank you!!!

2:07 PM  
Blogger Michelle said...

WOW! That is a beautiful story.
I love your picture, it's awesome!!! I really need to work on self portraits!

7:51 PM  
Blogger hchybinski said...

Toya - what a great story. I got all weepy - thinking about my own extended family and tough times. Thanks for sharing - a special part of who you are - with all of us. And that picture is gorgeous!

Hillary

10:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love that photo, its beautiful.

11:10 AM  
Blogger Brown English Muffin said...

Wow that was a deep post it made me think beyond the words I read on the screen....thanks for sharing....

5:48 PM  
Blogger Brown English Muffin said...

And how did you take that picture of yourself!! Talented I say!!!

5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home