Monday, March 27, 2006

Ink on paper equal priceless treasures

Image hosting by Photobucket Devin and I have the weirdest conversations sometimes, tonight it was on politics and somehow we started to talk about fountain pens and beautiful handwriting. I have a replica of the declaration of independance which is in a time capsule that hasn't been opened since 2002. It has the must beautiful Penmanship on it, when I think of handwriting this is what I think of. When I was a child growing up in the caribbean, my elementarty school taught Penmanship as a class in school, it was mandatory to learn how to write with a fountain pen. I remember wasting bottles of ink, trying to learn how to fill back the cartidges of the pen and remember getting it all over my hands but what I most remember is how good my handwriting became. Many years later, devin and I was separated due to our military deployment and even though we had email, I wrote him 1 letter a day every day for 3 months. I would take my time and form my letters and choose my words so he could know how I felt about what was going on with the war, our marriage and everything around me at the time. When we both got back home he brought out a bag and pulled out the letters in its original envelopes. I was so shocked. I thought he would have thrown away most of them or lose them during his movements but he had them all. I look at those letters now and smile, they are most cherish and very loved. Devin always talk about how he would read them over and over again, passing his fingers on the writing, knowing this is Me in written form. This is a reminder to myself that I must journal in my handwriting I must make it personal and tangible so that one day someone who has never met me in the flesh can run their fingers on my words and feel my joy and pain and become inspired to carry on my legacy of preserving the past for the future.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lu said...

man, do you speak the truth about the handwriting. there is just something about it. love the new banner on your blog.

9:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great entry girl!!! Love it!

7:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW.....so well said!!!!What a treasure to have all the letters. Gotta try more hand journaling. great post.

7:41 AM  
Blogger Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

what you just is so powerful! Handwriting is just so more personal! This entry almost brought tears to my eyes, the part about your hubby running his fingers over the words. Priceless!

10:14 AM  
Blogger Trina said...

Love this! It's so true... too bad I HATE my hand writing...

5:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home