Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Stew Chicken philosophy

Ahh, the aroma of a well marinated pot of stew chicken with a dash of curry powder for added flavor on some freshly made rice and red beans. Add some fried plantains or a green salad, splendid everytime. It's story time again. Devin thinks I don't use my Trinidadian dialect/accent alot. He thinks that I am denying my culture by not speaking how Trinidadians speak to everyone I talk to. Devin thinks I don't cook enough Trini dishes, I don't listen to enough Soca and Calypso and I don't listen to alot of Reggae. He complains about these things all the time. I once had the pleasure of having lunch with a friend, Conelius, who was studying to be a priest, and Father Grie, priest of my Grandmother's Church. Father Grie is from Southern France. He has been "stationed" in different parts of the caribbean for 20+ years and he has a well deserved natural tan to prove it. We talked about many things that day, people, religion, music and of course, cheese and chocolate but the most important thing Father Grie told me is that Communication is the key to Peace and Unity. It's not how you say it, it's what you say, choose your words carefully in the best context to relate the message you want to rely. Lauguage is a strategic tool, use it accurately and with caution. Words are powerful, they can hurt just as much as they can heal. My dialect is strong and misleading at times, words are always confused and most times people just don't understand what I am saying if I speak Trini. I spend more time explaining what I am saying more than getting my point across. Therefore, I don't use it that much depending on who I am talking to. I told Devin, My Dialect does not define me. I am a born Trinidadian, coconut water is in my blood. If he thinks that listening to Reggae and Calypso all day makes me a Trini then he is sadly mistaken. Like a good pot of stew chicken, that can be marinated with many herbs and spices, stew chicken will always be stew chicken, rich in flavor and part of my culture, served to others in many ways.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great entry! You just OFFICALLY made me hungry! I love reading more about you.

6:50 AM  
Blogger Lu said...

YOu are so wrong...for showing that chicken and not sharing. Also, I do love me some calypso in the summer times. it makes me want to visit the islands...love it.

9:24 AM  
Blogger Brown English Muffin said...

"Communication is the key to Peace and Unity. It's not how you say it, it's what you say, choose your words carefully in the best context to relate the message you want to rely. Lauguage is a strategic tool, use it accurately and with caution.

Words are powerful, they can hurt just as much as they can heal."

Beautiful message....but you made me hungry with the rice and peas and plaintain....both parents are from JA and my dh sometimes asks why I don't cook more traditional dishes....being born and raised in the England I can cook a mean fish and chips though!! LOL

5:57 PM  
Blogger Chit Chat With Divagirlrn said...

MMMMMMMM! That chicken looks delicious! Great post Toya. Your thoughts are so true.

10:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know you are going to have to being me some stew chicken and rice and red beans... yum!

nice post!

10:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, is there a recipe for that chicken and rice and beans?

7:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

best regards, nice info Free parental control downloads klonopin and fatigue search legion fitness equipment Klonopin and social phobia and dosage Ww undelete anderson baywatch pamela Tesco insurance affiliate program Diaper rash atopic dermatitis

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home